The Force by Don WinslowMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
A dnf for me at 50%. Malone is a cop. The first few chapters go on and on about the nobility of the calling of cop but then we learn that though he will give turkeys away on Thanksgiving, make sure kids aren't abused, and treats his partners like family--he is just as dirty as any of them. Well, but its just the way of the city. No one cares if how you get the job done as long as you get the job done. But then he gets hauled in, has to name names, and you can see his inextricable slide into more and more rationalizations. I gave it 2 stars because it probably isn't a bad book, just one I got tired of. Too much swearing. Too much melodrama. Probably didn't help that I just read Colson Whitehead's Harlem trilogy recently and he does the self-rationalizing good/bad guy thing so much better.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment