Monday, August 10, 2026

Transcription

 

TranscriptionTranscription by Kate Atkinson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I love a good spy romp and this definitely has a lot of tropes in it (alcoholic spy, gay spy, woman who knits). What was interesting about this one is the life of the spy after the war. What happens when you run into an old acquaintance? How do the things you did as a spy affect you now? It may have been the fact that I read this in spurts because of vacation but I felt like the disjointed timelines did more harm than good in this book. Too many people in each time period--too hard to keep track. Timelines that looped within timelines. References to things that happened in the book, and things that hadn't happened yet made me keep wondering if I'd missed something. Some plot points didn't seem to get resolved during all the time jumping.

View all my reviews

He had no Shakespeare, she realized. 

Do not equate nationalism with patriotism...Nationalism is the first step on the road to Fascism

This was how people disappeared from history, wasn't it? They weren't erased, they were explained away.

the counterfeit, although no deception was intended...was in some was truer...

No comments: